Sunday, August 23, 2009

The Importance of Creativity

This video was amazing I really enjoyed it. I think that he is spot on with all of his ideas of how the education system kills creativity. Why can't dance, music, art, or drama be taught along with the other "main" subjects. This brings up a great argument on the whole school curriculum and how some students might be better suited for a diffarent cirriculum than others.
This video brings up some great thoughts on wether or not the cirriculum we've had since the begining of formal schooling is it fit for everyone. Should there be different options for students and parents have on what the cirriculum is for the students. I think that in high school esspecially the creativity one has is pushed to the side so you can foccus on the "important" subjects. I also agree with him on the story of Gillian Lynne on how she couldn't sit still and if she was a kid today they probably would have been diagnosed with ADD or ADHD. Maybe some of the kids they say have ADD and ADHD are great dancers or pianist or actors.
I understand why the "importan" subjects are considered that but I think that society has changed enough that we need to change the way we learn. If we don't stop killing these kids creative nature we might lose the next Shakespere or the next Motzart. How depresing would that be if you found out that we destroyed a great composer before they even had a chance to show the world.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that was an amazing video. This one was my favorite out of them all.

    ReplyDelete